Monday, September 30, 2013

Put out to pasture

Lately I feel as though it's time for me to be put out to pasture. There's a definite sense of being disconnected with the outside world, not feeling any sense of purpose and having nothing left to contribute. And I can't blame it on the winter blahs or anything specific. I'm just a "woman of a certain age" who is past her prime.
   When I look out at the world with bleary eyes, I want to run for cover when I see where we are as a nation. Living in a college town with so many young people just makes me feel old. And if I see one more ad touting a vibrant, exciting life after retirement, I'm going to be sick. Even as we are living longer, our dominant youth culture all but ensures more years of feeling superfluous. 
   Who needs it? What's the point? At some invisible line, we step into a world that can go along just fine without us, and we become irrelevant. Before the breakup of the extended family, this didn't happen so often. But I'm willing to bet that when I'm put out to pasture, I won't be alone out there. And right now, that's looking mighty good to me.

No comments: